Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy Birthday, Brother Brigham!


Brigham Young, the second prophet of the Restoration, was born today in 1801, in Vermont, the ninth of eleven children.

He was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on April 15, 1832, a cold, snowy day. A few days before that, he recalled:

"According to the words of the Savior, I felt a humble, child-like spirit, witnessing unto me that my sins were forgiven."

Every prophet is called by God with gifts of the Spirit that are needed for his era. Thus with Brigham Young, too, whose leadership and courage were vital to the settlement of the Mountain West -- not just Utah, but settlements, too, in Arizona, Idaho, Nevada and beyond.

1 comment:

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

I still find your posts full of interesting information that makes them fun to read. You are knowledgeable and write well.

I used to edit for Signature Books here in Salt Lake--we did a nine volume set of Wilford Woodruff's journals. While I was doing this, I enjoyed taking Wilford and Brother Brigham for rides, sort of lectured sightseeing (lol) around the valley! They never said much. I did all the talking, but I think they enjoyed the rides!